Hipster sunglasses have taken the fashion world by storm in recent years, so their age may surprise you! Most hipster sunglasses are inspired by frames dating back to the 1940s, when large designs like aviators were made to protect ‘pilots’ eyes.
Over time, hipsters have adopted and personalized this vintage style, adding their own unique flair with features like bold modern lenses, intricate keyhole bridges, thin durable metals, and bold thick frames.
Looking for a pair of hipster eyeglasses to add to your everyday fit? Shop our hipster eyeglasses collection and receive FREE high quality 1.61 high-index lenses with every order.
Where did hipster sunglasses come from?
Hipster sunglasses can be traced back to the 1940s and 50s, when they were worn by icons such as James Dean and Audrey Hepburn. These sunglasses were often simple and classic in design, featuring round frames and dark lenses.
Over time hipster sunglasses have evolved to include a range of unique shapes, colors, and patterns. Because of this, our collection of hipster sunglasses is always evolving with new hipster-inspired trends and fashion staples. It’s our mission to give you the best selection of frames available online.
What kind of sunglasses do hipsters wear?
The hipster style allows for individuality and creativity. So, there are no hard and fast rules about what kind of sunglasses hipsters wear. That’s the beauty of it!
Aviator, trapezoid, and cat-eye are common hipster sunglass frames and come in a variety of colors and durable materials such as acetate, plastic, and metal.
Although it is hard to define hipster sunglasses, they are often associated with a vintage or retro aesthetic combined with modern lenses and materials. This is to increase functionality and durability. The overall design tends to be unique and unconventional, making it appealing to those looking to embody the hipster aesthetic.
What are some of the different types of hipster sunglasses?
Hipster sunglasses come in such a wide variety of shapes and sizes, combining classic frames with modern, eclectic lenses. A few of our most popular hipster sunglasses include these frame and lens combinations:
- Classic aviator-inspired frames with gold mirrored lenses for a unique twist.
- Bold and unusual trapezoid frames, featuring vintage red tinted lenses.
- Retro-inspired cat-eye frames with a modern green polarized lens.
- Classic and timeless round frames with a purple tinted lens for a hipster vibe.
- Bold and stylish browline frames with statement worthy orange gradient lenses.
On the search for your next pair of hipster sunglasses? You can easily filter our sunglasses by both frame shape and lens type!
What are some tips for choosing the right hipster sunglasses?
When choosing hipster sunglasses, it’s important to consider your personal style and preferences! Some tips to keep in mind include:
- Consider your face shape. Different hipster glasses frame shapes complement or accentuate the angles and features of the face in various ways. To find the perfect frame for your face shape, use our Face Shape Detector App.
- What is your personal style? Consider your personal style when selecting frames for a truly hipster look. Find frames that are uniquely you and reflect your personality.
- Think about your lifestyle Evaluate your lifestyle and select a frame material that complements it.
Do you spend long hours working on a computer? Then a lightweight acetate frame could be perfect for you. On the other hand, if you’re an active person, a flexible metal frame may be more suitable for your needs. Take this into consideration to make a better decision when shopping for hipster sunglasses.
Can I wear hipster sunglasses with prescription lenses?
Yes, you can definitely wear hipster sunglasses with prescription lenses.
In the past, you had to wear your prescription glasses with a clip-on attachment to protect your eyes from the sun’s harmful rays. However, with years of optical design, product experience, and improvement, modern hipster prescription sunglass frames are nearly the same as regular eyeglasses.
Prescription sunglasses are available in all lens materials, but there is a limited prescription range if the frame curve is high, and the size is large. Two choices are offered below:
- The prescription is weak (less than 4.00): You can choose most of the larger sunglass frames. Think cool, bigger lenses, with high-curve frames.
- The prescription is strong (more than 4.00 and with astigmatic values): We recommend choosing a regular optical frame with a smaller size lens. Think more of a flat curve, seen in a lot of our modern, stylish models.
Why buy hipster sunglasses from Yesglasses?
At Yesglasses, we’re committed to providing you with the perfect pair of new hipster sunglasses to fit your style. In addition to free shipping and returns, we offer a 100% Fit Guarantee so you can be confident in your purchase.